Pages

Monday, March 22, 2010

Waiting on ideas

 As I sat in Adelaide airport waiting for a delayed plane last Tuesday I analysed what it is that I am looking for when I go away. 
When I plan a break away from home I think I am hoping to find a still place from which to observe the world with fresh eyes.  By leaving the familiar and the habits, routines and reflexes associated with home, I am forced to stop and notice what is around me. 
As long as I pull out my notebook, even an airport coffee lounge is fecund with ideas.  With a pen in hand nothing is lost. If I don't allow myself to settle down, if I bustle and hustle, then I miss the chance to notice and to rejuvenate my writing with fresh connections.
In some measure I found the stillness and sharpened perception that I was looking for in the lounge of a coffee shop serving more than passable coffee in Adelaide airport.

No comments:

Post a Comment