Pages

Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Are you reading more?

Am I the only one who is buying MORE books? The publishing industry laments the downturn in sales; reading is supposed to be in decline, at least deep book-type reading is; and writers are being screwed because there is no market, supposedly...
This morning I heard a review of The Summer Without Men by Siri Hustvedt on a podcast of our fabulous Australian Book Show and immediately downloaded it onto my iPad. I am already half way through this examination of women's lives in relation to men. Many points intersect with my life but wait, a review will come later.
And this profligate book buying is not unusual in my household! Every time someone suggests a book to me I check it out on Amazon and if I like the look of it I download it. Sometimes they are duds of course, but because they are cheaper than hard copies it doesn't hurt so much to put them down. ( I am way too old to waste precious reading time on books I don't enjoy/ understand/ respect!)
Maybe this is just another aspect of my impulsive nature. Or perhaps it is a result of a life of deprived access to book shops. I have lived most of my life in the bush over 100 miles from the nearest book shop and dependant on one or two book buying binges a year to keep me alive.
At the moment I have 3 e-books and 1 real one on the go. How about you?

No comments:

Post a Comment