Pages

Monday, April 25, 2011

What to write about?

Too often I seek subjects to write about that others have examined before, instead of following my own leanings, the things that fascinate me, that I yearn to know more about. These of course would be too easy to write about. Like a martyr I force myself to write what I think others will want to read instead of trusting my own enthusiasms and writing to kindle a fire of interest in my readers.

Dear Annie Dillard addresses this with her usual bluntness:

"Why do you never find anything written about that idiosyncratic thought you advert to, about your fascination with something no one else understands? Because it is up to you. There is something you find interesting, for a reason hard to explain. It is hard to explain because you have never read it on any page; there you begin. You were made and set here to give voice to this, your own astonishment."

Perhaps this is why I find writing prompts a bit of a yawn. They are other writers' enthusiasms. Usually I find nothing that surprises me or breaks down the dam blocking the river of ideas. The trick is to be aware of what triggers my interest, to note on paper what intrigues or astonishes me and then to follow my nose as soon as I have the time and space - or sooner.

Cats intrigue me. I can never have enough of their idiosyncrasies. My camera has had a workout this weekend capturing my sister's two felines in every conceivable crazy situation. Fortunately my real job is working with them and their carers. So I write a blog about cat health and other catty issues. (You haven't read it yet? Here it is!) Writing it is no burden. Every day I find material to work with. My nurses have trouble nailing me down to do the veterinary part of the job because I love writing about my patients and feline friends so much.

Not that the physical act of writing is ever easy for me. Setting down words in sentences that work and that I like is hard slog, even after all these years. But it helps to write about something I love and want to learn more about. I push on through the mire and the mud because I want to reach the green field over the way.

1 comment:

  1. I love Annie Dillard, too. Thanks for sharing this. I can see how writing prompts aren't for everyone. I tend to think of writing prompts as stretching exercises; they are something to get you started if you get stuck or if you're looking for ideas. If you're lucky enough to have material that you're driven to, you should go for it. Those things that interest you are bound to interest someone else, as well. And I love cats, too. =)

    ReplyDelete